A poison ivy rash is not contagious. The rash develops after a time called the “latent period” from the initial exposure to urushiol (a toxic irritant in the plant juice). This period between exposure to the plant and the appearance of the rash may be as short as 1-2 days or as long as 10 days, depending on the individual’s skin sensitivity and the amount of toxin contact. It is not uncommon for more rashes to appear after treatment has started. This simply means that this rash/blister had a longer latent period. Our providers can ease the intense pain and disability with his effective poison ivy treatment.  Common medical dermatology treatments include oral cortisone pills or a cortisone injection in combination with topical medications. These will decrease inflammation and help relieve the itchiness.


If you’re thinking about next steps, get in touch to schedule a consultation.