What is Accutane?
Accutane, also known as Isotretinoin, is a potent medication utilized for treating acne. Typically, a four to five month course of Accutane treatment leads to acne clearance, making it highly effective for almost all kinds of breakouts. This medication is recommended for moderate to severe acne that has not responded to other treatments and may cause scarring. It can also be used for acne that has persisted for many years and has not been fully treated by antibiotic pills and creams. Although Accutane has numerous side effects, it is considered safer than prolonged use of antibiotics. Unlike most other acne-controlling drugs, which are antibacterial agents, Accutane does not need to be used daily. This medication has been taken by over two million people, providing substantial knowledge regarding its safety and efficacy.
What can I expect with Accutane?
When taking Accutane (Isotretinoin), patients can expect to see a significant improvement in their acne after a few months of treatment. However, this medication has many potential side effects that patients should be aware of before starting treatment. Some of the most common side effects of Accutane include dry skin, chapped lips, dry eyes, and dry nose. Other possible side effects include headaches, joint pain, muscle pain, and temporary worsening of acne.
Patients can expect to come for assessment and bloodwork once per month. Talking to one of our Dermatologi st or Advanced Practice Providers about ways alleviate some of the side effects and overall well-being is an important part of your treatment plan.
What Does it Treat?
Accutane is a potent medication utilized for treating acne.
- Highly effective in treating moderate to severe acne that has not responded to other treatments
- Typically leads to significant improvement in acne after a few months of treatment
- Can be effective for almost all types of breakouts
- May clear acne that has persisted for many years and has not been fully treated by antibiotic pills and creams
- Significant improvement in acne after a few months of treatment
- Reduction of acne lesions, pimples, and blackheads
- Improvement in the appearance of scarring caused by acne
- Reduction in oil production by the skin
- Decrease in inflammation and redness associated with acne
- Long-lasting results in many patients, even after completing treatment
- Improvement in self-esteem and quality of life due to clear skin